Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Back In One Piece

One-hundred-and-fifty miles spent mostly on four-lanes was not how I pictured my ride home from Lititz. The trip down took longer that I thought. By the time I was ready to head back, a headwind kicked up and some late afternoon overcast was on the horizon. Once on the highway, I was thankful that I had kept the liner in the jacket and added an extra under layer.

There a things you learn about in the motorcycle safety course that you don't think you'll need until later in your cycling life. On a summery Saturday afternoon, wind and fatigue are only concepts and don't really hit home until you've been on the bike for a few hours. Little things that were dismissed at mile 10 became causes for concern at mile 120. Things like cold fingers and a stiff clutch. The ache that sets in from holding you body in one position for an extended period of time.
The snot.

I loved every minute.

No comments: