Thursday, January 3, 2008

Why Cake No Longer Matters

Looking back on my holiday break I realize that I missed at least one, possibly two good riding days where the mercury rose and the roads were clear and dry. But I was in the car and heading to grandmother’s house, and all the while wondering why I wasn't riding.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the holidays. I enjoy traveling with family to see the relatives. And regardless of whatever awkward silences or sweaty in-laws each of us might have to cope with, a holiday meal with the family is one of the few times where it all works out. It is the one thing that keeps civilization from drifting into chaos.

However, there are times when we get a glimpse of what the world really looks like when we didn’t have rules, when communications break down. Times when we hold in our hand that crispy piece of skin that we stole before the turkey was presented or that last piece of cake promised to the children. Family moments like these are when the holiday meal becomes a one day seminar in micro-diplomacy.

But now that I have a bike in my garage, the civil war that brews over who was responsible for ruining Christmas dinner falls by the wayside. My biggest concern at this point is the long-range forecast on weather.com and when will I ride again.

Next Wednesday is looking pretty good. With any luck I might be able to stop off at a diner and get my own slice of cake.

No comments: