Thursday, December 20, 2007

The Old Peculier

The recent weather has my bike in the garage and me indoors preparing for Christmas. The perennial chores of shopping, cleaning, and bracing for the onslaught of holiday visitors have me running at full throttle. Shooting a little late night pool at Zeno’s makes that holiday list a little easier to take.

Wednesday nights at Zeno’s is bluegrass and Bar-B-Que, and after 10 o’clock, there’s an import bottle special. The Theakston Old Peculier from Masham, England is on of my favorites. It’s a Yorkshire Ale and rather smooth and deep. My friend Jonathan treated me to this one a while ago, and I try to do the same with new friends.

When you are exposed to something new, even something just a little outside of your experience, it has a lasting effect. The Old Peculier won't exactly change your world, but once that door is opened you begin to look at things a little differently.

I never intended to own or ride a motorcycle. But it happened. It's a pleasure to ride something so simple and well crafted that it has become a classic. It's a machine that makes an instant connection with people. I can’t wait to ride again. This weekend promises to be a little warmer. Maybe I can get out there and catch a little taste of something new, something different.

1 comment:

Steve Williams said...

Near 40 degree this afternoon. And lingering rain should be gone and most of the salt residue washed away. Should be a small window of opportunity to ride a bit, keep the battery charged.

Steve Williams
Scooter in the Sticks